9 Ultimate Clear Skin Remedies
Tired of trying endless 'ultimate' clear skin remedies, then wondering why you're the only person on the planet they don't work for?
The 9 remedies on this page are all easy and powerful, and you should find at least one that works for you:
There are 3 sections to this page. Read them all or click below to skip to the one you're interested in:
Part 1. Home (or DIY) treatments
Part 2. Internal approaches (diet etc)
Part 3. Best-of options (products, ingredients, treatments)
Part 1 - Home (DIY) Clear Skin Remedies
1. Relax and Purify - The Power of Steam (Free!)
Steam has fabulous clear skin benefits:
- It relaxes tension in muscles - relaxed facial muscles allow proper circulation which in turn allows optimal toxin removal and nutrient delivery.
- This relaxation is also important for mental well being (have you ever stopped to notice just how much tension you carry in your face?)
- Toxins such as salt and grime are expelled through sweat glands, pores are opened, and any hard 'plugs' (such as blackheads) are softened and can be removed easier
HOW TO: Hold your face over a bowl of hot steaming water (not too hot!) for about 10minutes. Make a 'tent' with a towel to trap the steam in - be sure to leave a small gap for air.
Finish with a few splashes of cold water to help tighten pores and bring a healthy glow to skin.
Try this 2 or 3 times a week - or even nightly if you have time.
(You don't have to get all fancy with flowers, but for extra relaxation try adding a drop of peppermint/lemon or other favourite essential oil to the water.)
2. The Cheap Remedy For Oil, Shine & Acne - Milk Of Magnesia
This is a very effective treatment for oily skin. If you end up with an oil slick by 11am each day, give this a try before investing in an expensive primer:
- Apply a very thin layer of Milk Of Magnesia to your oily areas with a cotton ball, allow to dry.... and that's it! (Make sure it is a very thin layer, as it can dry white!)
- You can get Milk Of Magnesia from most pharmacies, supermarkets or even Amazon.com
It works instantly to control oil for matte skin, and can also help reduce inflammation. If you have breakouts you can also apply it as a 'sleeping mask' nightly.
3. The Quick Remedy For Redness & Inflammation - Ice Cubes (Free!)
Image: Graur Codrin/freedigitalphotos.net
If you have a big date, or are simply tired of dealing with red, inflamed skin - these magical cubes of frozen water are an extremely effective treatment.
Ice after an injury reduces inflammation by decreasing blood flow to the area...
And it does the same for pimples, which are by definition 'little spots of inflammation':
- Simply hold an ice cube directly on top of a pimple for 10minutes (You may need to cover it in a paper towel)
- For best results, remove for 5minutes then apply again for another 10minutes. The more times you can do this the better.
- Some people swear by frequent 'ice cube' massages - hold an ice cube in each hand and massage around the inflamed areas of your face until they melt. While it takes time and is cold, doing this frequently can significantly reduce the severity of your breakouts.
Part 2 - Internal Remedies For Clear Skin
1. Clear Skin Kick Start - The 3 Day Fast
The role internal health plays in the condition of skin varies greatly from person to person - for some it's everything, others it doesn't make a difference. It is definitely worth experimenting with, as getting it right may completely clear up your skin.
One of the best ways to do this is with a 3 day fast.
This may clear up your skin by itself, but even more important it can serve as an indication of what may be contributing to your acne/breakouts in the first place.
If you reintroduce dairy after a fast and notice your breakouts suddenly become worse, that is a good indication that dairy may be affecting your skin.
It sounds simple - but it's important to reintroduce these food groups one at a time so you know which one actually is the culprit.
HOW TO: A juice fast is a great way to get the benefits of a fast while still getting important nutrients and energy.
Check out this 3 day guide from 'Reboot With Joe'*. (See your doctor before doing any fast or altering your diet).
2. The Daily Clear Skin Addition
This is probably the easiest and most powerful clear skin remedy on this page! Simply:
Start your day with a glass of hot water and fresh lemon juice.
(Squeeze half a fresh lemon into a glass of warm-hot water, and drink when you first wake up).
This simple morning ritual kick starts your digestion, instantly hydrates, and is a vital boost of vitamins for your immune system. Digestion in particular plays a role in how clear your complexion is, improving it's health can have a surprising impact.
Plus, drinking this daily also helps whiten your eyes and improve cellulite - win!
3. Sleep Right
Forget about the usual 'get 8 hours' advice - who doesn't know that already? Besides - ever had 8 hours of blissful sleep only to not see one change in your skin? (Apart from the under eye circles maybe!)
I'm talking about the small things you can do:
- Change your pillow case every 3 or 4 days (nightly if your skin is particularly oily, it's worth the hassle!)
- Try to avoid sleeping on your stomach. This position can have a surprising impact on skin.
- Use a humidifier - especially if you sleep with air condition or heating which can irritate your skin by drying out the protective top layer as you sleep. It will also help with breathing, which ultimately helps with skin.
- Use a thin layer of clay mask on very oily or congested areas (eg. on nose blackheads) to help clear skin and refine pores overnight. More details on the benefits of a clay mask below >>>
Part 3 - The Best Clear Skin Remedies
1. Use a Clay Mask Frequently
A bentonite clay mask is one of the best treatments for acne, oily skin, blackheads and breakouts. This natural green clay draws out toxins from skin, absorbs oil and decreases inflammation:
- For best results, use it 2 - 3 times weekly for 20mins a time.
- Apply a very thin layer nightly on congested or oily areas. This helps refine pores and controls oil for the next day. Do you ever wake up with blackheads or breakouts that look like they got worse overnight? Yea, this prevents that from happening!
- Use a clay mask as a spot treatment by applying directly to a pimple. Leave on for as long as possible - preferably overnight. By morning inflammation should be decreased, and depending on the severity of the pimple it may have all but disappeared. See our Clearing Clay Mask here >>>
2. The Ultimate Skin Saver - Acids
Acids like Glycolic and Salicylic work by dissolving dead skin cells and oil. This action effectively unblocks pores, prevents breakouts/blackheads and refreshes skin.
They are truly some of the most effective treatments for clearing up and improving skin.
2 options that work best:
- A stronger 'chemical peel' once or twice a month: a higher percentage of acid applied for a few minutes that can be a dramatic way to improve skin in a short amount of time. It's recommended to see a professional to get this treatment, although it is possible to carefully perform at home.
- Use a smaller percentage consistently: consistency is key in skin care. Pores are cleared, breakouts are treated, and skin is rebalanced on a daily basis. Results are cumulative and this is a highly effective of using these powerful skin care ingredients.
Which one should you use?
Glycolic acid (AHA) is best for blackheads, aging concerns (fine lines, pigmentation etc) and to smooth skin.
Salicylic acid (BHA) is best for blackheads, acne and oily skin.
3. Get 'The Little Things' Right
Sometimes it's the small clear skin remedies that matter and make the biggest difference:
- Wipe your phone, headphones and headsets often with anti bacterial wipes
- If you wear hats, wash them often, and try to avoid wearing make up or sunscreen on your forehead when wearing one as this can cause blocked pores
- Rinse your shampoo properly - this can be a surprising cause of breakouts on the forehead or hairline. It's also worth trying a different shampoo altogether if breakouts are persistent in this area.
- If you exercise cleanse your skin beforehand - especially if you exercise after work, when the day's grime can get into pores more easily while you sweat.
- Think about the unexpected - love your dog? Of course you do :) But make sure those 'kisses' to your chin aren't causing you to break out (seriously - this is from personal experience!)
All of these clear skin remedies are powerful, but one may work better for your skin. Try one or a combination, and find what works for you!
NEXT FOR YOU:
› Clear Skin Remedies