Is Manuka honey just a sticky mess, or does it have the power to help cure acne, heal scars and brighten skin?
Jump ahead to:
Quick (interesting) Facts About Manuka Honey
- Manuka Honey is harvested in New Zealand and is the most potent anti bacterial honey available
- It’s been used for centuries as a natural wound dressing due to its ability to promote fast healing and prevent bacterial infections
- The ‘Unique Manuka Factor’ (UMF) is a number scale system, representing the anti bacterial potency and quality of the honey. A UMF of 16+ is the best to use for skin – it’s more expensive but well worth it
Manuka Honey for Acne – Why it Works
- Anti inflammatory properties greatly reduce inflammation (i.e. redness and swelling) of pimples
- The anti bacterial power helps reduce the severity of breakouts and speeds up healing
- Has a brightening effect and works very well to reduce and prevent acne scarring
- Hydrating and soothing – an excellent treatment to rebalance skin, particularly if you suffer from dryness and dehydration as well as acne
What To Expect & Cautions For Use:
Manuka Honey won’t work well for everyone – for some it will be the best thing you have ever used… and for others it may make your skin worse, or simply do nothing.
HOWEVER – the potential benefits are well worth it and the only way to know if it’s right for you is to try it.
- Be aware some people will experience a ‘purging’ effect in the first week or 2
You need to give it at least 2 weeks before making a judgement. For some, after hitting the 1 to 2 week mark, their skin clears up almost overnight.
Of course, a bonus with trying the honey treatment is that it tastes delicious… so if you don’t use it for your skin, your morning toast is waiting!
YOU MIGHT LIKE: 45 Home Remedies for Acne
4 Of The Best Ways to Use Manuka Honey for Acne
You may like to try more than one of the following options.
Choose which one is easiest for you based on time and main goals.
1. Manuka Honey Cleanser:
- Great for removing bacteria
- Good option if you don’t like the stickiness – you’ll be rinsing it off
- Softens skin with daily use
- If your skin is more sensitive using it as a cleanser is a good way to get the benefits without having to leave it on
- Apply to dry skin
- If you’re wearing make up remove it first with a simple cleanser or wash cloth
- Massage into skin for at least 30seconds, concentrate on congested areas
- Easiest way to remove is to jump in the shower, and use a clean warm wash cloth and ensure it’s thoroughly removed
- Pat dry and apply your normal moisturizer
- If your skin is very oily you might like to do a double cleanse. The 2nd time, don’t worry about removing it as thoroughly, simply massage the remaining honey into skin and let that be your moisturizer (this is a great way to help balance skin)
2. Manuka Honey Weekly Mask
- Relaxing and healing – great for scars and redness
- Potent antibacterial affect for your entire face
- Rebalances skin, brightens and leaves a glow (a great treatment before a night out!)
- Thoroughly cleanse face and apply a thick layer of honey
- Easiest way is to use a teaspoon to get it out then apply with clean fingers
- Massage into skin and leave for at least 30minutes, up to 1 hour (monitor your skin particularly the first time. Remove if it becomes red or irritated)
- OPTION: soak gauze strips in honey and apply to face. This extra tip ensures the honey remains in contact with the skin and is particularly good for healing scars
3. Overnight Treatment – Scars, Healing
- Softening, brightening – wake up with glowing skin!
- Excellent for healing scars and soothing redness
- Good for dry or dehydrated skin
How To Use It Overnight:
- Apply a thin layer to clean skin and massage in
- Of course, it’s sticky! Use a towel or old pillow case to protect your pillow
- Wash it off in the morning by simply jumping in the shower, use a warm clean cloth to ensure it’s thoroughly removed
4. Manuka Honey Acne Spot Treatment – GREAT For Pimples & Breakouts
- VERY SIMPLE and effective way to reduce inflammation and speed up healing of pimples and cysts
- Doesn’t use as much so your jar will last longer!
- After cleansing, apply a small amount of honey to completely cover the pimple / cyst / whitehead
- Cover with a bandaid to allow honey to remain in contact with skin
- Best results come from leaving it over night, but if you’re pushed for time try it for at least 30 minutes
- Remove with warm water and a clean wash cloth
- Inflammation, redness and pus/infection should be less
- This greatly reduces the time a pimple takes to heal, and can stop it from reaching a head altogether
Recommended Brand/Where to Buy Manuka Honey for Acne
- Remember UMF 16+ is the best quality for skin – any less may be cheaper but simply won’t work as well
- Wedderspoon Organic Manuka Honey* is great quality, and available from Amazon.com or local health stores (you can also speak to the employees in a local store which is really helpful!)
If you’ve tried everything for acne or are simply looking for a natural (tasty) treatment to clear, soften and brighten skin –
– give Manuka Honey for acne a try using the tips on this page.
Remember to give it at least 2 weeks for the real results to show – you might find it’s the best thing you’ve ever used!