Tea tree oil for acne is a great natural treatment… This essential oil does work really well for acne-prone skin.
Plus it has many different uses—the world is your oyster with one little bottle! This article looks at why you want to use tea tree oil and exactly how to use it to clear up your skin.
Tea tree oil for acne works because:
It has anti-septic and antibacterial properties and that work together to reduce inflammation… and acne is inflammation.
- Remember, acne-causing bacteria contributes to the condition. Tea tree oil is a strong and natural ingredient to help control this
Six of the most effective (and easy) ways to use tea tree oil are below.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Acne:
Tea tree oil helps prevent infection – so using it to remove pimples also helps prevent more developing.
This along with its antiseptic properties makes it a really effective treatment for acne and pimples:
1. Use 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil
- Always use 100% pure tea tree oil that is easily bought over-the-counter. 100% pure oil is a lot more potent so the results are better.
2. Use it neat
- If you apply it neat on a pimple as soon as you feel one forming you can prevent it from ever reaching the surface. Just remember to be careful of the surrounding skin and remove with mild cleanser and water if needed
3. Mix it with Vaseline
- If it is too much on its own add one or two drops of tea tree oil to Vaseline before applying to a pimple. This also improves its staying power so may be more effective
4. Add it to your moisturizer
- To keep your face fresh, clean and to treat acne breakouts, add a drop or two into your usual moisturizer and apply twice a day
- You control the concentration here. Add the drops each time you use the cream by mixing it in the palm of your skin. Increase the concentration as (and if) needed
- This is more effective than buying any specific tea tree moisturizer because you can be sure you are using 100% pure tree oil, you control the dose, and you can still use the moisturizer by itself if your skin is sensitive
- This is the perfect overnight skin care treatment!
5. Make your own toner
- Use tea tree oil as a DIY toner after cleansing: put a drop or 2 into purified water and apply to your face from a spritz bottle or with cotton pads
6. A clear skin massage oil
- For a cleansing massage mix a couple of drops with a carrier oil such as almond and gently smooth over your face. Do this every night for a several days and your skin should clear up nicely
- See this page for details on facial massage moves
Here’s a video from a natural doctor—his first tip is to use tea tree oil with honey as a mask.
Check it out:
Tea Tree Oil Acne FAQs
Does tea tree oil have side effects on skin?
Used “neat” (not diluted) it can burn. For this reason it is a good idea to ensure you mix it with a cream or oil.
Tea tree oil can be applied neat to a pimple, but do take care of the surrounding skin! Vaseline can help with this.
It can also be irritating. Mix with other ingredients and take note of your skin. If you notice any redness or irritation, stop using it.
You can see this page on Mayo Clinic for more details.
Tea tree oil is too smelly!
Some people don’t like the smell—but think of it as “clean” and remember the benefits it is giving to your skin!
If the smell is too much for you, mixing it with some moisturizer that already has a fragrance may help.