Micellar Water for Acne
How to use it to clear your skin
Micellar Water for acne is a skin care savior. This anti-water cleansing-water will remove makeup, oil, and grime from your skin without irritation or over-stripping. Don’t underestimate the power of this for treating acne and pimples!
One of the hardest products to get right for acne is a cleanser. They can be too harsh and dry your skin out more (especially if your skin is dry or sensitive along with acne). Or they don’t cleanse enough and therefore prove fairly useless…
But all hope is not lost! This is where Micellar water for acne comes in.
Cleansing Acne-Prone Skin: without the irritation
Getting your skin properly clean is important if you deal with breakouts, pimples, blackheads and acne. Blockages are caused by oil, dead skin cells, sebum and gunk accumulating inside a pore. So it makes sense that keeping your skin clean is an important step. But…
Skin can be over-cleansed! You might have experienced this if yuo’ve tried using any harsh cleansers. These usually contain benzoyl peroxide or soap. Your skin might feel squeaky clean after, but you know it ends up a painful, tight, overly-oily mess.
And this is where using Micellar Water for acne comes in. This easy product has the power to gently cleanse your skin without throwing it out of balance.
But what is Micellar Water?
Micellar water has fancy “micelle molecules” suspended in it. These little things lift away grime, makeup (even eye makeup and lipstick!) and dirt, without the need for wetting your skin or rinsing it off.
It is this no-water-needed power that makes it great for sensitive skins, and for removing acne causing oils and grime without stripping skin.
So let’s get to the details on how to use Micellar Water for best results:
How to Use Micellar Water for Acne and Pimples
One huge benefit of Micellar water is you use it on dry skin and don’t rinse it off. You do not need to use any water on your skin at all. This is really significant if you have “hard water” or enjoy hot showers.
Step by Step:
- Get yourself a big bag of cotton balls or cotton pads. You will be using a few each time. (Cotton balls are easier as they hold more liquid).
- Soak a cotton ball with your Micellar Water and apply over skin using small circles.
- You can also use it remove eye makeup. Because it gently dissolves eye makeup that you can just wipe away, it helps prevent fine lines as you won’t be tugging or pulling the delicate skin.
- Once you have finished, soak another cotton and go over your skin again.
- You may end up doing this 3 or 4 times. That’s ok! You won’t be using much, and it is totally fine for your skin.
- Keep doing it until the cotton ball comes off clean.
- Important: make sure to wipe around your hairline, along your jawline, under your chin, and even swipe your ears (great to help with blackheads in your ears).
- Wait a minute for your skin to dry. Then carry on with the rest of your skin care routine.
- You can apply your normal moisturizer now. Or this is a good time to apply an acne treatment or exfoliation product.
After using Micellar Water like this, you might notice how much less irritated and dry your skin feels, instantly.
Keep using it, and after a week or two you might notice less breakouts as it continues to gently cleanse your skin.
But… Here’s why you might still want to exfoliate
Micellar Water is great at cleansing, but it doesn’t have much “activity”. So if you deal with breakouts or acne, and especially blackheads, a more active treatment two or three times a week is ideal.
Use an exfoliation product with salicylic acid, as this BHA dissolves oil and dead skin cells, helps unblock pores, and prevents acne breakouts.
Recommended Micellar Water Products:
1. Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water
This is a good price and does exactly what it should.
The more expensive brands essentially do the same thing, they are just marketed as “more expensive” because of labeling or extra fluff ingredients.
With Garnier, you get a good Micellar water. Simple. See it here
2. La Roche Posay Eau Micellaire Ultra
La Roche Posay is a bit more expensive, but it is quality French brand, and you can’t go wrong with French brands.
It is marketed “for sensitive skin”. Micellar water itself is good for sensitive skin, however if you are concerned this is a good choice as it likely to be even better than other products at keeping your skin happy. See it here