These 10 foods for beautiful skin all have a specific beautifying benefit – include them in your diet and you will see your skin become more supple, glowing and clear.
Let products do their job on the surface, while you get beautiful from within!
The right nutrients can make such a difference to the look and feel of your skin that no external product can ever come close.
The Top 10 Foods For Beautiful Skin
Tomatoes contain lycopene, an anti oxidant powerhouse that:
- helps protect skin from sun damage by preventing oxidative damage (source)
- promotes smoother skin and improves clarity
Snack on cherry or grape tomatoes – more smaller ones mean you eat more skin which is where most of the nutrients are. Drizzle them in olive oil. Delicious.
Cooked tomatoes are even more potent – tomato paste, pasta sauce, ketchup.
2. Dark Purple Foods
Dark purple foods are extremely healing with a very high anti oxidant content:
- anti oxidants mop up free radicals that attack cells and cause inflammation (which causes aging, acne, dry skin and dullness)
Snack on a handful of dark purple grapes, blackberries or blueberries.
Other sources are prunes, red cabbage and red onions. Especially when you feel a breakout erupting on your face, these are great acne fighter foods.
3. Fish (especially wild salmon & sardines)
Fish like salmon and sardines are a fantastic source of Omega 3 fats, which:
- help with healing and decrease inflammation – particularly beneficial for acne
- lubricate from within for supple, hydrated skin
- helps with stress and mental health which makes a difference to your entire life
Tinned fish is just as beneficial as fresh. Try sardines on toast (with tomato sauce for double goodness). Make a tuna or salmon salad, or have fresh sockeye salmon with eggs.
So this isn’t a specific food… but eating adequate protein is so essential to your skin’s health and how it looks:
- without it the body starts to break down muscle and tissue, which leads to sagging, weak skin
- it keeps you fuller for longer which helps curb cravings for sugary foods. This prevents spikes in your blood sugar levels which disrupt hormones and increase inflammation
Eggs, chicken, red meat, edamame, lentils…
Include a source of protein at every meal. This makes each meal more satisfying and you will also notice the change in your body!
Protein is really one of the best foods for beautiful skin.
Apples do contain a lot of natural sugar… but they actually help stabilize blood sugar levels in the body:
- this is important for beautiful skin because it keeps hormones stable and inflammation down
- also a good source of fiber for digestion which is directly related to skin health
- high in Vitamin C which heals and strengthens tissues by supporting collagen
- contain high amounts of water to keep you glowing
Eating an apple first thing in the morning is a great way to kick start digestion and put you in a healthy mindset. A satisfying, hydrating start to your morning.
Ok, not really a food, but so good for skin that you should be adding it to your food whenever you can!
- a super powerful, natural anti inflammatory
- inflammation is to blame for everything from acne to wrinkles to sagging skin and a puffy face
Add it to soups, salads, curries…. anything.
7. Walnuts & Almonds
Full of Omega 3 and Vitamin E, these 2 tiny powerhouse nuts are the perfect snack because:
- they strengthen cell membranes which increases their water-holding capabilities
- lubricate skin from within, keeping it supple and glowing
A handful of these nuts is the perfect snack. Carry a small bag with you during the day.
8. Dark Green Leafy Vegetables
So these make it every Top Food List around… for a reason! They really are one of the most important foods for beautiful skin:
- extremely nutrient dense – rich in minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients
- they protect skin from free radical damage, support tissues and give you a healthy, supple, clear glow
- their high water content helps release toxins and water retention – making for tighter, more contoured and toned skin
Get into the habit of having more salads. With every meal have a handful of dark greens on the side. Or you could try them in a smoothie and get your full serving in one go.
This humble legume:
- is amazing at controlling blood sugar levels that in turn keeps hormones balanced and reduces inflammation
- this is so significant when it comes to beautiful skin that if it was all you concentrated on you would notice a vast improvement in everything!
- lentils are also packed full of fiber, protein, iron, vitamins, folate and zinc!
In a salad. Add some goat cheese for extra taste and goodness.
Eggs are mini nutrient capsules and are so simple to eat. They contain:
- B Vitamins – a deficiency in these can cause dry skin and brittle nails
- Vitamin A and zinc – both heal and strengthen skin, and particularly important for acne
- Amino acids – the building blocks of protein which is the building block of skin!
Boiled eggs are one of the best snacks there is. Boil a few each week and keep them peeled in the fridge ready to go.