- This acne scar home remedy will help fade light scars—those brown or red marks left on your skin after a pimple.
- This is a completely natural solution, and it’s beyond easy to do!
Do you get to darker brown or red patches of skin, left over after a pimple finally disappears? Usually this is from an overzealous squeeze session that scarred your skin, or these marks can just remain after a pimple or zit disappears.
The only way to get rid of them is to exfoliate your skin. Because these superficial scars form in the top layers, exfoliating these layers gets rid of the scar. If you’re looking for a home remedy for acne scars that does this naturally, read on!
Note: If your scars are deeper or older, you likely need a heavier approach. See this page for all the best acne scar options.
Jump ahead to:
The Acne Scar Home Remedy:
This remedy has two simple steps. Repeat them once a day until you no longer see that acne scar!
- One ripe papaya: that’s right! Papaya has a natural enzyme called papain that is often used as a meat tenderizer…! This makes is excellent at naturally exfoliating skin and increasing cell turnover
- Remove a bit of the orange flesh (no seeds) and mash into a pulp using a fork
- Apply this mash to the scar on clean dry skin and leave for 15minutes
- Avoid other areas of skin as these can get irritated. Papaya is powerful! Remove immediately if you notice any irritation. Don’t leave it longer than 15minutes as it can leave a painful patch of raw skin
- Remove the papaya mask with warm water and pat dry
- Mix one teaspoon of lemon juice with two teaspoons of vitamin E oil (you can simply pop a vitamin E capsule)
- Apply this to the same area and massage into skin for at least 30seconds. The lemon juice has a slight bleaching effect and the vitamin E is an a moisturizing emollient. This step is important to aid healing
- The massage action helps to break down any scar tissue and stimulates skin for further healing. So massage for longer if you wish!
You might like: Aztec Healing Clay for Acne Scars
What if You Can’t Get Papaya? Natural Alternatives
If you can’t get papaya for this acne scar home remedy try: pineapple, kiwifruit or fresh ginger. Repeat the same steps as above. Pineapple and fresh ginger are strong so remember to keep an eye on your skin.
See also: 33 Home Remedies for Acne
Acne Scars: Other Treatment Options
You could say there are different “levels” of acne scars. Some are a simple red or pigmented mark left by a recent breakout. These are the ones this page addresses. Other scars are the result of deeper pimples or cystic acne. Sometimes, your skin might scar from an overzealous blackhead squeeze!
But how you got the scar isn’t as important as knowing what type it is and how to treat it.
- Superficial lighter marks: respond quickly to home remedies like this one—often in a few days if not overnight
- Scars that have formed from a more severe pimple or cyst can be pitted or raised. In other words, they have changed the skin, rather than just the surface layer. You could call these “battle scars” and they need a different approach. See this page
Tips for Preventing Acne Scars
You can help prevent these pimple marks by increasing the strength of your skin. If you’ve ever used retin A, done a chemical peel, or any other treatment that temporarily “weakens” or softens skin, you might have noticed how easily it breaks and dents.
If you deal with a lot of breakouts and pimples, the tips below can help strengthen your skin strong so it won’t scar as easily after squeezing or other damage:
- Strengthen your skin from the inside by taking daily fish oil/Omega 3 supplements. Also drink plenty of water to increase hydration and make sure your skin has enough “bounce” to act as a natural shock absorber
- Take Vitamin C supplements and use a vitamin C serum. This is an important Vitamin in the production of collagen which helps strengthen skin and increase elasticity. We need it both inside and out! Plus it helps your skin really glow
- Try other supplements for acne like lysin, which helps strengthen skin tissues
- Take care of any pimples you have, avoid squeezing any that are inflamed, and continue to nourish your skin with moisturizer even if you are suffering from acne
- Use chemical exfoliant like salicylic acid on a regular basis. This is one of the most effective ways to gradually lighten and strengthen skin, plus it helps prevent new breakouts and scars
This DIY acne scar home remedy works by naturally exfoliating your skin. Have fun and enjoy great skin!