The best treatment for adult acne not only clears your skin, but improves it long term. Since you also have anti aging concerns for your skin (seems so unfair right?!), this distinction is important.
This article will show you how go about it. It goes beyond the usual one-sided advice and looks at all the small but important action steps you can take to help clear your skin and prevent premature aging.
Divided into 3 parts, it includes simple but powerful steps you can take... Let's get on with it!
If you want to skip ahead, use the links below:
There's no denying diet can make a difference for some people. Sometimes getting your external skin care right is the most important thing, but at least taking a look at your diet is worth it.
Below are 3 'internal' action steps that can make a difference to your adult acne:
Loading up on fruit and vegetables is great, but to really see the difference can take a long time and it tends be gradual.
IMPORTANT - Just increasing vegetables and improving your diet may not be enough if your digestive system isn't working optimally.
A sluggish system can't eliminate waste or absorb nutrients effectively, so any healthy changes to your diet won't affect you as well as they should.
It's kinda of like putting new, high performance oil in your car without changing the old oil out first.
A 3 day juice cleanse will serve as a 'kick start' that will clear out your system and give you a good boost.
You can visit his website Reboot With Joe here. The minimum time to allow changes to take place (and to get over any cravings, which is the worst part) is 3 days.
After doing a cleanse/detox, notice any changes to your skin once you start eating certain foods again. If you can, it's a good idea to introduce them one at a time.
For example, the first couple of days you might reintroduce dairy. If you notice your breakouts suddenly becoming worse, that's a good indication dairy is affecting your skin, and you may need to look at limiting your intake.
Certain supplements support systems which help to treat adult acne:
1) Probiotics - a sluggish digestive system can make even the most healthy change to a diet sub optimal. Nutrients absorbed by the digestive system go into the blood stream and are carried to every cell - including skin cells.
IMPORTANT: If you suffer from a lot of indigestion, constipation or bloating/gas, your skin problems could be related. See your doctor who can help determine the best course of action.
Clearing up digestion issues can really clear your skin.
(See this article for more information)
2) Fish Oil/Omega 3 - anti inflammatory supplements that are important for overall health, not just skin (more information).
Try taking between 500-1500mg a day, for at least 30days, and see if they make a difference (I've noticed they greatly affect my mood so are well worth taking for that alone!)
3) B Vitamins - while you do get B Vitamins through diet alone (meat, eggs, greens etc), stress can deplete them, which in turn affects hormones, which in turn affects skin!
See your doctor is you have major concerns about any lack in your diet, or are feeling unwell in other areas of your life. Sometimes a simple blood test can highlight any areas that need attention.
This is one super simple trick that can truly help clear your skin.
It also helps your immune system, kick starts your digestion, and helps with cellulite.
Here it is:
Start your day with a glass of hot water and lemon juice.
Yes, very simple. Squeeze half a lemon into about half a glass of hot water, and start your day with that. It may take a bit of getting used to... but the instant pick-me-up and changes you will notice will quickly make it a habit.
This really 'purges' your body and gets things moving. It's a great way to do an internal cleanse and the benefits to digestion alone are worth it.
Keep in mind that while it may be simple, it is powerful. It can cause slight detox symptoms such as 'extra' pimples, or headaches etc, which should go away after 3 or 4 days.
It's so easy and the benefits are great, so give it a try for at least 7 days.
1. Try a 3 day juice fast. See Reboot With Joe as a great all-you-need-to-know website. Reintroduce 'normal' foods slow and take notice how they affect your skin.
2. Add a course of probiotics, start taking Omega 3 supplements and consider a good multi vitamin.
3. Start your day with a glass of hot water and fresh lemon juice. Try it for at least 7 days and see the difference!
Let's face it, while adult acne can certainly be caused by internal conditions, the symptoms manifest on the outside. So it makes sense that these outside symptoms can be treated successfully from the outside.
Sometimes the right products and treatments can make all the difference, no matter how trendy it is to rely on holistic approaches. Anyway, isn't it easier to get the external stuff right rather than try to overhaul our diet and lifestyle?
First up, let's start with the basics:
The first, powerful step of your skin care routine. One that seems so simple, it's often done without much thought. But getting it right can make a significant difference.
Exfoliation is vital as part of your best treatments for adult acne. Why? Acne is caused by an excess of oil and dead skin cells, which block pores and cause inflammation.
The right exfoliation dissolves the excess oil and rebalances oil production, removes dead skin cells and reveals newer, fresher skin at the same time.
In other words, not only does this step clear and prevent breakouts, but it's vital to help improve aging concerns such as fine lines and uneven skin tone.
If you have really oily skin, it is tempting to skip this step. But usually with adult acne you know how important it is. Remember:
The best cleansing and exfoliation can be negated by using the wrong moisturizer!
It stays on your skin, so it has powerful pore clogging ability! Here's how to make sure you're getting this step right:
1) Use an active cleanser twice a day, massage for at least 30seconds and do a double cleanse in the evening if needed.
2) Our Glycolic Daily Exfoliator 7.5% applied daily is the best way to clear up breakouts and blackheads, as well as treat fine lines, dullness and pigmentation.
4) Twice a week use a clay mask to draw out impurities and balance oil production. If you only breakout in certain areas, just use it on those and apply a hydrating mask to the rest of your face.
5) Always wear sunscreen but ensure it's oil free. Don't go over spf 30, the important thing is to use enough.