One thing that makes trying to get rid of acne so difficult and frustrating is the seemingly endless advice and latest must-use products.
This is also because acne has so many different causes – from hormones to something as simple as using the wrong skin care product – which is why one solution may work for your friend and not for you!
So what on earth do you do??
Take a three-pronged approach. All these steps work together to not only clear your skin but keep it clear.
And they can work fast.
They attack from all angles which is the real way to get rid of acne:
- The “external” approach AKA products and treatments – what you need to use on your skin to really clear it up
- The internal approach – fasting, supplements, water, diet, etc etc
- Lifestyle – exercise, tricks, habits and more
This approach to getting rid of acne is simple and powerful. And it can work fast!
So let’s get on with it, so you can get on with getting clear skin!
How To Get Rid Of Acne In 3 Steps:
By the way, because these steps are generally about ensuring your body runs smoothly so your skin stays clear, you can make them a part of your lifestyle for the long haul.
Think of it as your “clear skin regime”.
PLUS – the recommended products are not about giving you a quick fix that makes your skin worse in the long run. (Although they can work really fast!)
For example, benzoyl peroxide is a popular acne ingredient. However it works by really drying up the skin and can make it worse with continued use. This is not ideal.
Instead, the focus is on clearing your skin by bringing it back to its ideal balance: using proper exfoliation for clarity and smoothness, and ensuring hydration for suppleness.
(Because all those things are also important for anti aging and just having nice skin 🙂
Step 1: The Products and Treatments For Acne
- Do an audit of your skin care and makeup products. This is important! Surprisingly often it can be one product that is causing most if not all of an acne problem! This is especially true for cystic type acne that seemed to appear suddenly. Any that are too rich, too oily, or simply not right for your skin must be stopped immediately.
- Use a clay mask every night. Bentonite clay is an excellent anti-inflammatory that also draws out impurities from your skin. Using a mask every night for 20minutes will help calm any redness and swelling, and help to prevent new pimples from developing (it also mops up oil and helps reduce blackheads). Check out our Clearing Clay Mask here which is ideal for this.
- Use salicylic acid the right way. This BHA is so amazing for acne, oily skin, and blackheads! It can penetrate right into pores and dissolves oil and dead skin cells. It also has an antibacterial effect and improves your skin long term thanks to its awesome exfoliation. Here’s how:
- Use our Salicylic Daily Exfoliator 2% nightly before your clay mask. It can be drying in the beginning but your skin will also clear up so keep using it! You can also use it as a spot treatment – apply extra to those areas that are really clogged or pimple prone. See reviews and details about this product here >
Home Remedies that work:
- Use ice. Ice is Mother Nature’s gift to skin care. If you feel any new pimples developing, hold ice wrapped in tissue on the area for 5minutes on, 5minutes off for about 30minutes. Repeat this as often as you can. This can severely reduce the likelihood that pimple will continue as it was – it may entirely disappear or at least be much smaller by the time it reaches the surface.
Step 2: How To Get Rid Of Acne From The Inside
- Increase your water intake significantly. You cannot reduce inflammation and make a difference to your skin if your water intake is inadequate. Often a dramatic increase is needed to see a difference. Try to drink at least 3 liters of water a day. This can work fast, and you may be surprised at all the other benefits it brings and how you can actually feel the difference!
Step 3: Lifestyle and Habits
- Keep a skin journal – use a simple calendar and keep track of your skin. Note when a pimple forms, if it feels dry at certain times, if oil increases after eating a certain meal or lack of sleep. After a few weeks you will notice patterns and this can be invaluable.
- Environment makes a difference. Sometimes humidity or dry air and disrupt your skin. If you noticed a change after a move, this may be the culprit. Unfortunately this is hard to handle without moving again – but maintaining balanced skin with good products should be the aim. Eventually it should acclimatize.
- Don’t forget the small things!...
- Clean your pillowcase regularly
- Clean your bathroom towel regularly – in fact, using a separate small towel for your face only – that you change daily – can make a significant difference to your skin
- Wipe your phone regularly with an antibacterial wipe
- Keep your hands away from your face, especially your chin
- Wash your shampoo out thoroughly. If you get regular breakouts on your hair line try changing your shampoo brand as it may be irritating your skin