Baking soda for acne is one of the cheapest treatments you can use. Some people swear by it, preferring it over anything else. This article will show you exactly how to use it in 3 easy ways:
Baking soda is a great add-on treatment if you don't want to buy expensive extra products or more active cleansers. Adding some to your usual cleanser can give it an extra boost, with mild exfoliant and anti inflammatory properties it can help clean and calm your skin.
The 3 different options for using baking soda for acne below are all easy and will show great results. It may just become your new skin care 'secret'...
Baking soda as a cleanser is best for very oily and congested skin. It can be irritating to use everyday but if your skin is oily it should be able to handle it, if not, every 2nd or 3rd day is fine.
Start gentle as taking your time is better than ending up with redness and irritation!
1) In the beginning the best way is to mix some baking soda into your normal cleanser, preferably a gentle product. This gives your skin a chance to get used to it and the results will be better
2) Add 1/2 a teaspoon to your cleanser and mix in your hands
3) Apply to face and massage gently for at least 30 seconds. Concentrate on oily, congested areas or any scars
4) Rinse off with plenty of cool water
5) Apply moisturizer straight away - this can be drying and may leave your skin feeling tight
Use this mask 2 - 4 times a week for best results.
1) Cleanse and dry face with a gentle cleanser
2) Mix approx. 2 teaspoons of baking soda with enough water to form a wet paste - in your palm (most simple) or a cup
3) Leave on skin for at least 15mins - if it stings too much (a little is normal and a sign it's working) take it off
4) Remove with plenty of cool water and pat dry
5) Apply moisturizer straight away - skin will feel tight and dry.... but look bright and very clean!
Baking soda's ability to reduce inflammation significantly makes it excellent as a spot treatment. This option is really good for sensitive skin as you can avoid the rest of your face:
1) Simply mix a paste of baking soda and water and apply to the pimple, cyst, congested area (this masks a good blackhead spot treatment), or scar
2) Leave on for at least 20mins and preferably overnight (try mixing it with enough water to form a toner-like consistency and apply with cotton wool - this is best for scars)
3) It will harden/cake, you can remove the crusty bit but don't rinse off - it's still working!
4) You can even cover with a bit of concealer if you have to go out
Baking soda for acne can be a really effective treatment, try it and see if it's right for your skin. I'm sure you have some in your kitchen cabinet so go for it!